Saturday, July 7, 2018

5 Positive impacts of Humility and 21 Bible Verses about pride


5 Positive impacts of Humility - Humility, a key to Success and greater heights.



There is this saying that my Pastor was always fond of all the time when she sees someone being proud, blushing, excited about an achievement or just barely overwhelmed about his successful actions or deeds, She will look at you in the eyes and smile with the word;

“Humble yourself”,


Whenever she says that, it strikes me in my mind, keeping me woken to the reality that I have to be humble and not allow the spirit of pride to overwhelm and take over my senses,

it isn't a bad thing to be happy at that Speech you just made that blew people away and got them clapping uncontrollably, nor is it any bad to be proud of your qualifications and achievements in life so far,

but in all you must try as much as you can to strike a balance in-between being happy, fulfilled and being proud because it is said that “Pride comes before a fall” and a proud look is an abomination to the lord as recorded in the Bible.

The reality check is that sometimes we all struggle with pride somehow, just that the level and gravity of these wars differs depending on how we have been able to identify and realize the existence of pride within us and work on it,

Pride can really rob us of so many potentials, blessings and opportunities that maybe coming our ways and I see people attending greater heights in life not just because they deserved it but because they were humble enough to win the heart of the people in position who will root for them to assume that position, get that job, win that Office, get that Contract and a host of other things you could possibly fit into that picture.

The 5 Positive impacts of Humility with references


1. Humility can create an Environment of Harmony, Peace, Respect and love 

The 5 Positive impacts of Humility


Where there are two proud people, there will always be chaos, strife and a great absence of Love, Mutual Respect and Harmony which will in turn allow a greater reign of disrespect and discord among the people

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited – Romans 12: 16

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud – 1 Corinthians 13: 4


2. Humility makes you worthy even when you don’t deserve it 

Humility makes you worthy

Have you come in contact with someone who is so knowledgeable and experienced in a certain area of work but yet full of pride and yet another who is humble but have less knowledge of same area of work but have the potentials to improve upon and learn? I have witnessed Situations like that countless of times and believe you me, I always go for the humble ones because I hate a proud spirit. Seeing that the humble one ends up getting to work with me makes it clear that, Humility can position you where your certificate or Experiences cannot.


Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. 

- Proverbs 16: 19



3. Humility can attract lots of Friends 

Humility attract friends

You see many people have a whole lot of Friends while some keep wondering how manage when they are even struggling to retain the ones they have, it is a verifiable fact that people tend to find solace in hanging out and dealing with Humble hearted personalities as opposed to the proud in heart.

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited – Romans 12: 16


4. Humility attracts & retain favor more than Beauty 

Humility attracts Favor

Now Beauty is another great stuff that can attract favor even more faster than humility because it can be seen or measured with just a sight, but Humility would have to be observed within a period of time, 
so beauty can also attract favor from people but above all retaining this attractions is what matters most which is what beauty cannot achieve but humility can.

If a great man was attracted by the beauty of a woman and he was moved to favor her and on the long run her Pride begins to ruin the whole stuff, there will always be a negative impact on the favor she got and in worst cases if such favor was retractable, it will be retrieved.

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble 

–James 4: 6

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. – Daniel 5: 20


5. Humility can save as a Bond and Secret to a flourishing relationship

Humility Secret Bond to relationship

 

One great stuff that Humility does is melting the heart of people, it makes them see innocence and loyalty in you, NOTE: This does not mean you are foolish and being used, as this is what people uses to rebel and think otherwise, the truth of the matter is that the humble hearted always win at the end somehow.


21 Verses in the Bible about pride

1. Isaiah 2: 12 - The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled)

2. Isaiah 23: 9 - The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring down her pride in all her splendor and to humble all who are renowned on the earth.

3. James 4: 6 - But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

4. James 4: 10 - Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

5. Jeremiah 9: 23 - This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches

6. Philippians 2: 3 - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves

7. Proverbs 8: 13 - To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech

8. Proverbs 11: 2 - When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

9. Proverbs 13: 10 - Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

10. Proverbs 16: 5 - The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

11. Proverbs 16: 18 - Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

12. Proverbs 16: 19 - Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

13. Proverbs 18: 12 - Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.

14. Proverbs 21: 4 - Haughty eyes and a proud heart— the unplowed field of the wicked—produce sin.

15. Proverbs 21: 24 - The proud and arrogant person—“Mocker” is his name— behaves with insolent fury.

16. Proverbs 29: 23 - Pride brings a person low, but the lowly in spirit gain honor.

17. Psalm 10: 4 - In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.

18. Psalm 138: 6 - Though the LORD is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly; though lofty, he sees them from afar.

19. Romans 12: 16 - Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

20. 1 Corinthians 13: 4 - Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

21. Daniel 5: 20 - But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory.



A Narrated Story of a Proud Hearted Man


a Proud Hearted Man


Few years back, I was walking down to my office after an exhaustive lecture when I got interrupted by my colleague's call. He told me someone wanted to see me and briefed me on the purpose of the meeting.

I quickly objected, telling him "you should have sent him to the Provost or Registrar". He replied saying, "you know you can pull the strings faster and help him if you really want to".

I knew he was right and I reluctantly accepted to see the young man. He walked into my office and we got talking. For more than thirty minutes, I noticed he didn't talk about his proposal, he kept on talking about his masters day in Malaysia, how he had achieved so much in just 30 years of his life on earth, he was the first in his village to do this and that, any girl he is interested in should count herself very lucky; these are just few of his words I can remember.

At first I kept shut as I felt all he was saying was relevant to his proposal. I got upset when he looked at one of my phones which was placed on my table with disdain, he went ahead to tell me I needed to upgrade the phone to his type of phone while telling me to come visit him in Abuja. In his words, "don't worry I will pay for your flight ticket".

Though I had just finished a two hour lectures and was fatigued, I knew I needed to talk some sense into his skull, who knows? Maybe it could help him adjust his stinky attitude.

You want to 'meet' me right? I asked and he nodded his head in the affirmative while smiling sheepishly. Okay, I am ......., I am 24 years old and just rounded up my masters from MDX U.K., I have certifications in.....

I had to stop as I could see him burying his head in shame and obviously feeling intimidated. I quickly dismissed him, telling him his time is over and it seems his proposal wasn't important to him as he had spent over 45 minutes plus boasting about himself.
I overheard him talking to my colleague outside my office and asking him, “who is that young lady"?. My colleague replied, “Oh! I forgot to tell you that she isn't just a staff, she is the daughter of...... that was the reason I sent you to her".

I do not like to talk about what by the special grace of God I have been able to achieve in life but that young man made me break that rule.

The next time you want to feel proud because you own 1,000 loaves of bread, remember that someone owns the bakery.

Stay humble, especially when God suddenly lifts you up.
Also know that some organizations won't give you mouthwatering contracts just because you are qualified but also because you are well mannered.

Source & References 

The Story Narration was written by Ody Bassey Agbor and the content (5 Positive impacts of Humility) was inspired by Ody Bassey Agbor, the author of (Before you get married - The Secrets to building a lasting relationship).

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: